Washington, DC – As “Sex and the City” makes the leap to the big screen, the Distilled Spirits Council suggests cocktail ideas for those planning after- movie parties.
From Cosmos to Martinis to Manhattans, “Sex and the City” helped to breathe new life into a cocktail age not seen in this country since the pre-prohibition era. Considered by many to be the catalyst for the martini movement, the ladies of “Sex and the City” inspired a revived cocktail culture that has become a lasting trend across the country.
“As the popularity of ‘Sex and the City’ has grown, we have definitely seen the trend move towards bold, stylish cocktails,” said Omar Muhammad, Mixologist at Teatro Goldoni winner of DC’s coveted “Best Cocktail of 2008. “ People are experimenting with new flavors and moving away from your traditional martini.”
As devoted fans eagerly await the return of their favorite fashionable femme fatales, Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda, they should consider celebrating in style by hosting a cocktail party to honor the women who created a cocktail revolution.
For those planning to celebrate the release of “Sex and the City: The Movie,” the Distilled Spirits Council has offered the following cocktail recipes and responsible party tips for your soirée.
By Teatro Goldoni winner of DC’s Best Cocktail 2008
A chocolate insipired Martini that will knock your Manolo’s off!
1 oz. Vanilla Vodka
Shot and a half of espresso
¼ oz. white chocolate liqueur
¼ oz. dark chocolate liqueur
To Celebrate Carrie’s nuptials
1¼ oz. White Chocolate Liqueur
¼ oz. Hazelnut Liqueur
2 oz. milk or half and half
Pour all ingredients over ice and stir. Garnish with nutmeg. Serve in a cocktail or rocks glass.
Toast to the City.
1 ounce Blended Whiskey
½ ounce Sweet Vermouth
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
Pour ingredients over ice in a mixing glass and stir. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.
Considered by some to be the show’s “Signature” cocktail.
1 ounce Vodka
½ ounce Triple Sec
¼ ounce cranberry juice
Splash of Rose’s lime juice
Shake ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.
The Distilled Spirits Council Recommends these Tips for Hosting a Responsible Cocktail Party
1. Designate a bartender who can serve your guests and keep an eye on how much everyone is drinking. The Federal Dietary Guidelines define moderate drinking as no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.
2. Remember – alcohol is alcohol. It is important to understand that a standard serving of regular beer (12 ounces), wine (5 ounces) and spirits (a cocktail with 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits) each contains the same amount of alcohol.
3. Make sure that you provide food to complement your cocktails. Consider food pairings to enhance the flavor of your chosen cocktails: fresh seafood and breads accentuate vodka cocktails; spiced and smoked meats and cheeses complement Bourbon and Scotch whiskies; and fruit enhances Rum and Tequila flavors.
4. Make available non-alcoholic beverages for your guests. Create festive non-alcohol punch for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol.
5. Make sure your guests have a safe way home either through a designated driver or a taxi. Have local taxi service numbers available for your guest.
# # #
Distilled Spirits Council of the United States
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States is a national trade association representing the leading brands of distilled spirits. Council member products include the full spectrum of quality distilled spirits such as Bourbon, Scotch and other whiskeys, vodka, gin, tequila, rum, brandy, cordials and liqueurs.
The distillers take special pride in their products as well as in their commitment to encourage responsible beverage alcohol consumption by adults who choose to drink. If you choose to drink, consume sensibly and responsibly. An important part of responsible drinking is understanding that a standard drink of regular beer (12 oz.), distilled spirits (1.5 oz. of 80-proof spirits) and wine (5 oz.) each contains the same amount of alcohol.