DISCUS is proud to have a growing number of Craft Members across the United States. Our craft Members include small to medium sized distilleries producing a wide variety of products from vodka, gin and rum to aged whiskeys, brandies, cognac and other liqueurs.
Our Craft Members are active in making their voice heard on public policy issues affecting the industry at both the state and federal level and we recognize the important role that they play in their community through their contributions to local economies, tourism, and job market.
The Craft Membership is led by the Craft Advisory Council. The Advisory Council’s role is to coordinate communications with DISCUS’ standing committees and policy teams, as well as engage and activate small producers in their respective regions on issues of critical importance to the craft spirits sector.
Access and Influence
- Access to Industry Experts and Leaders in the Spirits Industry: DISCUS expertise can help you make strategic decisions to grow your business and avoid potentially costly errors. DISCUS staff regularly interacts with leaders at TTB, USDA, and international regulatory bodies, providing members with information on current rules and laws, as well as the thinking behind the regulations.
- Representation at the federal, state, and local levels on legislative and regulatory proposals; DISCUS is your voice in Washington, DC and in state capitols across the country.
- Engage with the DISCUS State Government Relations team, comprised of 6 Vice Presidents covering the country and a team of 35 contract lobbyists with a track record of increasing market access and mitigating tax threats in all 50 states and the District of Columbia
Insight and Analysis
- Subscription to the ‘Spirited Advocate’ weekly e-newsletter
- DISCUS Craft members receive weekly updates on state legislative and tax issues, keeping you informed on issues that affect your business
- Complimentary access to the DISCUS Summary of State Laws & Regulations Relating to Distilled Spirits website: Compilation of laws, regulations and rulings governing the sale and distribution of distilled spirits in each of the fifty states and the District of Columbia ($995 value for a one year subscription)
- Complimentary edition of the Recommended Fire Protection Practices for Distilled Spirits Beverage Facilities (a $795 value)
- Access to monthly webinars developed for members
Business Development and Marketing
- Opportunities to raise your profile, promote products, and showcase your brands in the US and in international markets at Council-sponsored product promotion events.
- DISCUS events are attended by industry leaders and business partners throughout the spirits sector, along with public officials, the media and other opinion leaders
- MAP Program: benefit from access to the DISCUS/USDA Market Access Program, which provides access to international trade shows, trade mission and overseas promotion to help promote the export of American Spirits/American Agriculture
- Potential Savings on Health Insurance through the Association Healthcare Plan (restrictions may apply)
- Discounts on DISCUS events, including the DISCUS Annual Conference
- Members receive discounts on all DISCUS Academy Courses and programs. The curriculum was developed by a diverse group of industry veterans to address the unique challenges faced by the spirits industry
- Exclusive cyber insurance and risk management product access and a complimentary cyber risk assessment (CRA)
- Additional product savings updated monthly on the DISCUS Member Portal